Data Protection Act 1998
We have notified the Information Commissioner under the terms of the Data Protection Act that we may obtain information about data subjects.
Information gathered by us
You will appreciate that we need to gather some personal information from you when you apply to become a registered member of Global Home Warranties (GHW) website, and when you request information on or buy any products or services. Our membership application forms ask you to provide us with your contact details, such as name, postal and e-mail addresses and telephone number. In addition, we need financial information, such as details of your bank account or credit/debit card number and expiry date when you order from us. If you contact us, we will usually keep a record of that correspondence
We may also collect information that you provide in the following ways:
• If you supply information to us via our website www.globalhomewarranties.com (our "Site"). This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our Site or posting material. We may also ask you for information when you enter any competition or promotion sponsored by us, and when you report a problem with our Site.
• We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them. Information that is automatically logged If you access our website at www.globalhomewarranties.com, we may use your internet protocol ("IP") address to help diagnose problems with our server, to administer our website and to help identify you. We also have the ability to know what type of operating system and browser software you use and to identify the geographical location of your browser. Your IP address is also used by us to gather broad demographic information and other purposes, such as monitoring visitor frequency. Use by us of the information we collect We gather your information to allow us to process your application for membership to our GHW Lifestyle service, and to process any orders you may make. The relevant information is then used by us, our agents and sub-contractors to communicate with you on any matter relating to the conduct of your membership and the supply of goods or services which you have ordered generally. The information you provide will enable us to contact you to provide information about our company and our group companies, including the latest GHW products and services and exciting new offers we think may be of interest to you offered by us and our group companies or carefully selected third parties. We will not send you any such information if you do not indicate your agreement to receive it on your membership application form. Where you have indicated to us that you wish to receive further information, we may send you email communications, SMS text messages or post, or contact you by telephone from time to time regarding goods and services that we think may be of interest to you, or new links to our website and any technical, administrative or legal notices important to our website or our products and services. Each time you purchase goods or services from us, we will send you an email verifying the order and confirming that the supply of the goods or services concerned.
Disclosure by us of the information we collect to third parties Any of your information that we gather is not sold, rented, made available to, or otherwise disclosed to any third parties without your consent except in the following circumstances:
• We may sub-contract to other companies the provision of some of the products and services we agree to supply to you, and we may also employ other companies to provide certain services for us, including for example, delivery of orders or processing of credit card payments. These companies have access to the personal information needed to perform their functions and not for any other purposes. They are bound by confidentiality agreements not to disclose any information for any other purpose.
• We do share non-personal, non-individual demographic and profile data in aggregate form with third parties for business purposes, for example with advertisers on our website, or we may tell our business partners the number of clients in certain demographic groups who purchased certain products or services. Such information will enable us to understand, in general terms, user preferences in relation to the content of the website and the effectiveness of the advertising. This does not involve disclosing any personal information which can identify any individual client in any way.
• We will disclose your personal information to any appropriate investigative third party if we believe that you are involved in any illegal or harmful conduct, or if we are required to do so by law or we believe that such action is necessary to (1) comply with the law or with legal process; (2) protect and defend our rights and property or that of our clients; (3) prevent fraud; (4) protect against abuse, misuse or unauthorised use of the GHW service or our website; or (5) protect the personal safety or property of our clients or the public (e.g. if you provide false or deceptive information about yourself or attempt to pose as someone else, we will disclose such information about you as we have to assist any type of investigation into your actions).
• We may transfer our client database, including personal information contained therein, to a third party who acquires all or substantially all of the assets or stock in our company whether by merger, acquisition, reorganisation or otherwise.
How we protect your information
The internet is not a secure medium. Owing to the global nature of the Internet infrastructure, the information you provide may be transferred in transit to countries outside the European Economic Area that do not have similar protections in place regarding your data and its use as set out in this Privacy Statement.
Our website contains links to other websites. Please note that we are not responsible for the privacy practices of such other websites and we advise you to read the privacy statements of each website you visit which collects personal information.
Telling you what information we hold about you
If you wish to know what information we hold on you, please contact us. We will only send this information to the e-mail address we have on file, unless you send us your postal address and request us to send the information to you at your postal address.
Removing and correcting information
If you request us to remove your personal information from our database or you wish us to amend or change the information we hold about you on our database, we will remove or amend any such information at your request. You may change and modify the information you have previously provided to us by e-mail to our email address, or by letter to our postal address, details of which are set out above.
If you have any questions about this privacy statement, how we run our website or your dealings with our website, please send an e-mail to us at our e-mail address set out above.
The information contained in this Privacy Statement shall be governed and construed in accordance with Northern Irish law and be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Northern Ireland courts.